Wednesday, April 16, 2014

In which I ramble about roller derby and poetry

Is there anything poetic about roller derby? I mean, sure, kind of? My body sings when I hit a good pace. I feel like I'm in sync with the world... but I'm going to be real with you. I don't like sports poetry. I don't like most war poetry, either. I don't know what that's about. Maybe because of the aggression? I don't know. I don't even like hula hooping poetry (and there is a lot of it, believe it or not). This is a frustrating conundrum as I've started training for roller derby and it's pretty much all I think about.

Anyway, this month is all about refocusing on poetry (and derby derby derby derby, okay? okay). I haven't written as many poems as I'd hoped (I never do) but I've written about 10. 2 I think I might even like. I remember when I was in college, I tried to write a sonnet-a-day. That was just flat-out ridiculous.

I think I tend to write more poetry during the spring and summer because I'm outside more. I think about the things I see- I stop and hike and look at weird shit. That's normally good fodder. Oh! I'm going to quit and post this because I'm thinking about an animal skeleton I saw when Mel and I went for a skate outside. IT WAS WICKED INTERESTING.

Happy poetry month!

Peace
Love
Poetry

No comments:

Post a Comment