Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Nature inspo-

Happy Tuesday, my friends!

Let's talk about inspiration for writing poetry, or just writing in general. Somedays, weeks, years, it's hard to just sit down and find the words. Sometimes it's anxiety, sometimes fear, sometimes you're frustrated with your own personal lexicon (is that a blog for another day? Mayhaps!). There are a lot of different tips 'n tricks out there for how to inspire yourself out of a rut. If you're like me, you'll google it then spend time reading so many different tips n tricks that the Overwhelm just piles onto everything else and you end up giving up and wonder off to find a cookie or take a nap. So this isn't a list, and it's certainly not exhaustive. 

Personally, I like to get out into nature. Nature walks are my tried and true first step to combat writer's fatigue, writer's blocks, ruts, whatever you want to call it. It doesn't require any prep, just a water bottle and shoes you don't mind getting muddy. Nature is a powerful tool; it's playtime for adults. I like to get dirty, and lost, and race against the sun. I like to spend 3 hours playing in a creek, and 30 minutes running along the trail to get back before it's pitch black outside. I find it grounding to just dig in and be present and a little feral. 

But it's also a way to learn new words, new concepts, and new ways of thinking, and that shit's always good for writing. Take an ID book, not your cellphone, and go for a hike in the woods or park. What identification book should you get? That depends, what interests you? Wildflowers, fungi, trees, rocks, insects? Pick one and go get lost in the woods. Sit on an old igneous rock next to a creek and count the fossils, make a crayon rubbing of it, catalogue it in your journal, snap a photo. Climb a tree and sit there, balanced, in the air, and ID that leaning Sycamore growing near the bluff.

This is the stuff, my friends. If you're struggling to find the words, go learn something new about the world around you and learn it with your whole body. Feel it, see it, smell it, touch it, roll in it, poke it... but don't eat it unless you know for sure that it's not poisonous. Seriously.

Don't eat poison. I cannot stress this enough.

Hope y'all have a wildly creative and/or restorative week. The sun is coming back 💓

This is a photo of an ice-covered log
it's log it's log it's better than bad it's good


Love & sunshine & snow & moonlight,
Yours,
Kit


As always, if you like (love) this content and want to support my writing outside of the big bad projects, and read supporter-only content, you can buy me a cuppa at ko.fi. You can also purchase my chapbook & audible of poetry, a record of night at Amazon. If you're so inclined, you can also follow my author page at goodreads or follow me on Twitter

Please show me some love and leave a comment, review, or rating on any of these platforms! Have an awesome day, my friends.











 

No comments:

Post a Comment