Monday, February 8, 2021

2021 Book Goals

Every good writer must also read. Somebody somewhere said something like that, I'm sure. 

So this year I want to be intentional about hitting the books! It's been a long time since college, so I get to chose the shit I want. So I'm going to try to knock out 24 books this year. That's 2 books per month. They can also be graphic novels, because I do heart me a good graphic novel. Big props to all my friend recs! Maybe I'll try to whip out some reviews to share.


My list (Probably not read in sequential order):

  1. The Water Dancer, by Ta-Nehisi Coates
  2. Children of Virtue & Vengeance by Tomi Adeyemi 
  3. The Unicorn & The Lady
  4. Gender Failure by Ivan E. Coyote
  5. The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenster
  6. Remote Control by Nnedi Okorafor
  7. The Kraken Lord and the Eater of the Sun by E.E. Ottoman
  8. How Long 'til Black Future Month by N.K. Jemisin
  9. How to be an Antiracist by Ibram X. Kendi
  10. The Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha Shannon
  11. This is How you Lose the Time War by Amal El-Mohtar
  12. Map to the Sun by Sloane Leong
  13. Naked in Death J.D. Robb
  14. Harrow the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir
  15. How to Talk to a Goddess by Emily Croy Barker
  16. The Unkindness of Ghosts by Rivers Solomon
  17. The City We Became by N.K. Jemison
  18. The untitled second novel of Legendborn by Tracy Deonn (coming out 2021)
  19. A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas
  20. Aetherbound by E.K. Johnston
  21. The Craft of Love by E.E. Ottoman
  22. My Sister, the Serial Killer by Oyinkan Braithwaite
  23. Klara and the Sun by Kazuo Ishiguro 
  24. Last Call: A True Story of Love, Lust, and Murder in Queer New York by Elon Green
Also, internet friends, I am no longer active on GoodReads (although this blog auto populates there). You can find me over at the Story Graph. My username is kit_steitz. There are no author pages, just reader pages, and that's cool too!

I love it when y'all throw some bones my way, and normally I would be pimping my work at the end of this blog, but this month I want ya'll (white folks like me) to go buy a book by a Black poet or prose writer (do it every month! But if you need a starting point, choose now). If you haven't read Rita Dove, audre lorde, Nnedi Okorafor, Tracy Deonn, Tomi Adeyemi, or the actual depth and wealth of Black authors that make up the fabric of our literary works past and present, then you need to catch up. You are missing out on whole universes of actual magic. 

Much love and luck on your book goals this year, my dear readers!

Love,
Kit

No comments:

Post a Comment